Monday, October 05, 2009

It's time to go.... Crap

You know when you move house, you do a bit of spring cleaning, and throw out a huge pile of junk that you don't remember collecting but has somehow grown to fill 3 rooms worth over time?? well moving overseas is a lot like that, but a lot more ruthless.

When I move house for instance, I still traipse around with my sentimental junk, because no matter where I live, I know there will be some cupboard that I can store that crap in, never to see the light of day, until the next move when I open the box again and can't bring myself to throw the junk out once and for all.

However, being that I am relocating roughly 17,000km's from home, and my stuff has to be shipped/stored/destroyed, there are a loooot of menial decisions to make about a lot of garbage I have carried around with me for the past 29 years with my preverbial bag lady baggage in my cupboard of shame.

However first things first - we sold the car. We sold it within 2 days of posting the ad?!? wtf!! things are happening sooo quickly, its like the universe is saying "geettt oooout" like the Amityville House. Are my walls bleeding and talking to me? kinda. Sydney wants us gone.

Seeing the car go was a bit sad, it was one great car. We had excellent times (driving it on our honeymoon) and bad times (driving it into a parked car.... heyyy it came out of nowhere OK!) But now Herme has gone to a new home, and we have to walk around like homeless bums to the shops. Luckily Herme was brought by some rich guy in Mosman who brought the car for his daughter for her Uni Graduation (disgusting.. rich people disgust me) I love living in a rich neighbourhood. We get to reap all the benefits of their blase richness when they buy our cars on a whim (full price. no negotiations)

One thing down.. A billion more to go. I mean a car is easy. How do you decide on the worthiness of holding onto something that has no real value to anyone else, but you can't bring yourself to get rid of?? Ie: my rollerskates.

I've been holding onto these skates for at least............ 15 years. Which makes no sense really given that there are no such things as rollerskating rinks anymore.. (no cool ones anyway with sarsparilla/80's music and disco balls) But these skates are a symbol of my love of skating, that I used to spend every available school holiday opportunity at a skating rink, that I thought that one day I would grow up to be a rollerskating champion.... then when I got a little older I wore them to every 18th birthday party I went to dressed as Rollergirl..

But do I really need these skates???? would I pay $12 per KG to ship to London? can I really envisage myself rollerskating around Oxford Circus?? about the only place I could ever wear these skates is if I lived in Vondelpark.

So they're going.. I hope whoever gets them realises they are taking a part of my childhood dreams and maybe uses them once or twice to roll down their driveway, and they can spend some more time stored in a plastic bag living underneath the bed to keep the monsters away.

3 comments:

Moi said...

I had to go through the same purge and pack routine when I moved to London. I kept my rollerskates though.

Jewels Diva said...

Do you even rollerskate anymore though? And would you when you get to London?

Steph said...

You so have to take the skates! How can you contemplate leaving them behind???..Yes I'm a hoarder.

Good luck with your packing and whatnot, I find it so depressing!