Thursday, September 03, 2009

Breathtaking Bellagio

When we were first talking about taking a trip for Mark's 30th, we were of the mindset that we would go to Las Vegas and stay at the Bellagio Hotel where we got engaged, it's got a nice fountain and it's a good party town.. then I discovered the actual town of Bellagio, and suddenly Las Vegas was on the dung heap and Europe was on the menu.

Bellagio is an hours drive north out of Milan, it is situated on the tip of Lake Como at the juncture of 3 lakes, with the Swiss Alps in the background. If you can figure out the GPS system, and driving on the other side of the road on skinny roads that only fit one car, it's well worth the drive, as it is breathtaking.
It is a very tiny town, with pristine water and mountains everywhere. I was surprised to find that it was also very affordable, the food was the same price you would pay in a big city which is a nice change because usually if places have you hostage they extort as much money out of you as possible. Bellagio is not like that. The food is incredible and rich, I was once again too full to move, and had to be hauled out the restaurant in a wheelbarrow.

This is the view from our Hotel Room
Needless to say I didn't feel the need to leave the room and would have quite happily stared out the window for the duration of our stay.

Bellagio would be an amazing place to visit in the winter, with snow on the peaks of the mountains that surround you, but being that it is summer we had the fortunate experience of seeing people swimming in Lake Bellagio, there is a "beach" you can walk to, and I use the term beach loosely, as its the rockiest most uncomfortable beach I've ever had my feet crippled on. But the water was divine.. I saw lots of people wearing Crocs and whilst I do come from the 'only jerks with no taste wear crocs' school of thought, the next time we are here I'll be croc-ing it up massively as it's the only way to walk to the water without causing massive injuries to your feet from walking on pointy rocks the whole time.
We knew that we'd be swimming in the lake and I told Mark to pack his boardshorts, but of course he didn't listen to me and forgot, and I'm not about to spend $80 on a new pair, so he was forced into buying "punishment pants" ie: James Bond Dickstickers.

I said everyone else in Italy wears them so it won't be a big deal and I was right.. although I would go as far as saying that the Italians don't even bother with Speedo Dickstickers, they just go out in their undies.

I mean how else are you supposed to get an all over even tan??? The Italians know this, hence why this guy drove his boat around all day in his white underpants.

Bellagio had excellent shopping and an amazing jewellery story where the designer makes pieces exclusively for this shop and nowhere else. I can see why George Clooney lives in a Villa in the area and why Snoop Dogg comes here to buy his Pimp Canes.
I want this Octopus Ring!!!!!!!! and matching Bracelet, made with Diamonds.. when I have a spare $12,000 for the ring.. I'll defo be back.

Overall, I'm glad I went to Bellagio, and will be putting this on the itinerary of places to live at when we move over here. It was sad to leave, I will miss the gorgonzola gnocchi, and the piano man who sings all night under our window, and the mountain peaks, and the pimpin jewellery I can't afford.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

That's a ring? How is that a ring?

Anonymous said...

yum... gorgonzola gnocchi...
KJ