Monday, October 06, 2008

Possum Magic

I live in a unit that is 3 stories high, quite often we have invaders from nature enter into the realm and distrupt the tranquility.. huntsman spiders, huge killer moths, generally something that can be irradicated with a quick chase around the apartment with a broom.

Saturday night, i'm lazing it up on the couch when I hear these weird noises coming from the kitchen, I let it go because our cat is quite fond of climbing the kitchen cupboards, but then I hear this weird smash, and I go into the kitchen to see what all the fuss is.

I see a possum sitting in my saucepan.

A possum.

wtf?!!!!!!!! how the fuck did you get into my kitchen!! maybe it has the super gliding powers, but still.. he has wrangled his way through the blinds and into the sink and theoretically here to wreck havoc.

However, I was brought up on childhood fantasy books like Possum Magic


My first instint is to a) take a photo, and b) make friends and snuggle with the furry little marsupial.

However, The Boy's first instint is to freak the fuck out, barricade all the doors up and get a lifetime supply of towels to do battle with.

Did we see the same creature in the kitchen??.. I really don't think the possum came here to scratch our eyes out, and in the commotion of it all (ie: arguing about possible savagery of said killer possum in the saucepan) the possum disappears.

Where did it go? Nobody knows. General consensus is that it went back out the blinds when we were busy fighting over weather to take some photos or to bury it in a pile of towels.

Then on Sunday I woke up with a huuuuuuuuuuge itchy rash all over my face. Coincidence?? I think not.

Let's be rational here, is it totally beyond the realms of possibility that this possum has been climbing into bed with us of a night and getting its possum funk all over us?? hey in the dark a grey cat and a possum can feel the same can't they?!

Or if we're going to go down this road..... Is it really that incomprehensible that this possum was quite possibly a meth-head possum who in the commotion of all the fighting blew an ice-cloud into my face and I have had the ice-itch for two days???

I think either or both these scenarios seem highly likely.

In the meantime, my face is a plethora of rash and itchiness. The windows are all locked up tight so that we aren't ransacked by any further furry beings in the night, and Lenny.. well Lenny didn't seem to notice that anything was different.

6 comments:

( . )( . ) said...

Awwww I would have tried for a cuddle as well. Boys have a strange way of thinking.

Sarah said...

A possum once hopped up onto my bed in the middle of the night when I was in college- I don't think it would have if it had known I was there, though... I don't see it doing a Lenny and trying to sleep on your head!

KittyMeow said...

I don't know HOW Lenny didn't react! THAT is the funniest thing....did Lenny even give the possum a passing glance? How blase is your kitty!!??

Bedazzler said...

I've had Possum rash on my face a few times.Especially when entangled in some manscaping.

instatick said...

That is the most hilarious story ever!

unique_stephen said...

I love that book, I read it to the kids every so often.
I now have Dame Edna's voice in my head: "Hello possums"