Thursday, May 01, 2008

how to ruin a good thing

Last night, I was going through the the cupboard sorting out the garbage from the crap i'll continue to hold onto for another 5 years. I have a lot of crap. But some of it is enforced crap, destined to live in it's box at the back of the cupboard for the rest of its life.

Some of this crap, well it's really not its own fault that its crap. I have a set of gorgeous Royal Doulton glasses that were a gift many years ago from the engagement party.



mmm Royal Doulton. Fancy. Quality. Sturdy. It's art in glass-form. Too bad they will never see the light of day...... And why is this? because the douche (kind hearted generous douche, who is a douche none the less) who gave them to us got them friggen engraved with our engagement party date on them.

Ewwwwww. Dis.Gust.Ing.

Nothing ruins a piece of quality glassware/crystal/(pretty much anything with a smooth surface) quicker than engraving.

Do they think i've got that short-term memory loss disease from 50 First Dates or something?? Like i'm going to wake up, use my pretty Royal Doultons and be like "why do I have these glasses? and more importantly, on what particular day of the year did I recieve them!!" I can't tell you how annoying it is when you can't remember the exact occasion you recieved gorgeous stemware.

fucken idiots.

So yeah, these lovely glasses will collect dust and eventually be thrown out, as they have been so hideously maimed by some moron with their engraver, which is pretty much the glassware equivalent of getting a really bad tattoo and then regretting it for the rest of your life.



Gross. I bet that guy from Bumfights totally feels my pain. Even though he lives in a dumpster and eats garbage. I bet he would still balk at the suggestion of drinking out of engraved wine glasses cos it would remind him of the abhorrent tattoo on his forehead the whole time.

4 comments:

Skinny Girl said...

I hear you. Engraving things just screams "tack" to me.

Takes it to a whole new level of tackiness.

Sarah said...

Oh wow... I think I would use them and just worry less about whether I broke one because someone had already abused them anyway... Give one to Lenman to drink out of!

Anonymous said...

can't you get the engraving polished out? take a glass to a restorer or a glass dealer n see what they say, i hope you can salvage them from their dumpster fate.

Rach said...

for reals? they can buff out the tack??

awesome.

i'll do that, or save them for when i'm 80 and blind and won't notice it.