Thursday, July 12, 2007

I like Kids Films

Yeah, I'm a sucker for Kids movies, I lined up with a sea of 4 year olds to see Finding Nemo when it came out, I brought the Pixar Box Set with Monsters Inc, A Bugs Life, Toy Story 1&2, and last night I really enjoyed watching Over The Hedge.

But these are a different breed of childrens films to the ones I was subjected to in my childhood - the ones that I watched, I can't even think about going near because I will be a blubbering mess afterwards..

Have you ever watched 'The Secret of NIMH' ?? seriously! A single rat mother has to magically move her house out of the marsh, for her kids are sick and cant walk, or they'll all be obliterated... that movie was soooo sad.

What about 'The Land Before Time' - when Littlefoot watches his mother get totalled by the Tyrannosaurus Rex and dies telling him to go on without her.. yikes, my heart just cant take it.

Don't even get me started on Bambi... that movie is just wrong.

I understand that kids films need to teach children about the importance of Family, Teamwork, Friendship, Honesty, Health and Happiness.. but do they really need to plow these messages home with sadness and death??

You watch these films to be entertained, not deeply traumatised.. I cant even look at a Tyrannasaurex Rex these days without residual anger rising up inside me.

Down with Rex!! Up with Rats.

4 comments:

UNC said...

I have some recollection of a grinch christmas...and the 1st santa movie was attended with Grandma...did you enjoy those or just kept smilin'to keep the ol' folk satisfied...???????

Unc...indiferent memories

Jo said...

I hear ya.
"Bedknobs and Broomsticks"? Almost eighteen hours of trauma.

Leis said...

Bed knobs and Broomsticks-I watched this the other week! lol


oh! Aladdin floats my boat every time... could NEVER stand the lion king.
Nemo rocks, not as much as both toy stories.
monsters inc was great... might watch that this weekend...!!!

Amanda said...

I watched Bridge to Terabithia a few weeks ago. Apparently, based on some book, seemed to be a kids movie- but had me with tears streaming down my face. I felt sorry for the kids.

The Land Before Time was awesome. I think I'm going to have to procure it on DVD to save for prosperity.