Monday, December 18, 2006

I have matured

I think blogging is the closest thing you can have these days to 'Pen-Friends'. The concept of the pen-friend intrigued me as a kid. Especially hearing stories about people who were pen-friends for 20 years then got married, and the bonds of sisterhood being tied forever like in that movie Beaches.

When I was in year 7 (i think), we had this pen-friend program, and you were supposed to pick a random and start writing to them. I wrote about 3 letters, but what are you supposed to write about? you hardly have similar interests or stories you can talk about.

I stopped writing to her because she sent me her photo..... "hairy". I couldn't go on after that, not only did we have nothing in common, but she was in desperate need of about 8 liters of NAIR. I couldn't face the possibility of her wanting to visit me in 20 years time and me having to explain to people why i have a gorilla living with me.

I used to be so superficial. Thank god i've matured. Thank god for the exuberance of The Brazillian Wax.

Sorry Mowgli (or whatever your name was). Come visit anytime.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww ... hope that mowgli (or whatever her name was) would see this blog post :)

redcap said...

My sister had a pen friend who sent her a carved elephant and requested that she be sent a cashmere cardigan in return. She was probably hairy as well.

Anonymous said...

In year 4 we were forced to participate in some ridiculously lame pen-friend program writing to children from some out-in-the-sticks country school.

I only wrote to my pen pal once. Her name was Gemma. I didn't like her. She couldn't spell. She used the words "gimastics" (gymnastics?) and "kollas" (koalas?) several times in her first letter.

I suggested in my letter to her that she might have a quick glance at a dictionary next time she's not sure how to spell something.

She wrote back saying she didn't care if she couldn't spell because all she wanted to do was compete as a professional "gimastist" at the "alimpics" and "gimastists" don't have to know how to spell.

I hate her still.