Thursday, November 23, 2006

The Product Sells Itself

I haven't seen an Ad for Vegemite in what seems like 16 years. What's up with that?? Is it because they don't need to advertise??

Technically they don't have any competition, unlike various other spreads, like Peanut Butter (which is even horning in on Nutella's turf I have noticed). And the product is so ingrained in Australian culture, we all have a jar in the cupboard at.all.times.

I still remember the song:

We're happy little Vegemites, as bright as bright can be.
We all enjoy our Vegemite for breakfast, lunch, and tea.

Our parents say we're growing stronger every single week.
Because we love our Vegemite, we all adore our Vegemite.
It puts the rose in every cheek.



It's quite an achivement that a spread that most un-Australians find utterly disgusting, and considered banning from coming into their country, doesn't fill the waste on television with its banal advertising. Unlike Coke or McDonalds who have a new ad out every week.

Go Vegemite! Note to the un-Australians, the key to using Vegemite is "subtlety".

mmmmmmm tasty.

9 comments:

surfercam said...

How true! I haven't seen any Vegemite ads since I was a kid.
On the otherhand, I don't know why they bother advertising beer in this country - the stuff walks out the door.

aut said...

Intersting topic...
Though my job I have access to competitor data where I can see who spends what and how.
I just did some checky runs and you will be suprised to see that Vegemite has been advertised on TV consitently throughout 2006 YTD and they have had a continual presence for the last 5 years and further back.
The reason you may not of seen this ad, is that you may not be in the target demographic - being Grocery Buyers + Children. So the ads are mainly Saturdat morning and in childrens programming - getting right to the little ones!

I will match "UNC - fountain of truth" and now refer to myself as "Aut- fountain of stealing data when I am not supposed to"

Rach said...

bring on the data.

too bad it blows my theory out of the water.

can you perhaps be "AUT - fountain of burning all data that disproves my redonkulous theories"

Darryn said...

Another one that says "redonkulous". Jeez. Freaking OC fans.

Rach said...

is that an OC thing?

shame on me.

I didnt even know, that's how uncool I am.

Cazzie!!! said...

When I was sick last year it is the only thing that I could eat that tasted any good. Apart from later on when I could eat some subway :) Go vegemite :)

Steph said...

I go into serious meltdown if i cannae have my vegemite on toast every morning. Yes i said EVERY morning.
T'is the only thing that kick starts my bowels.

Rach said...

if we ever become a race of space monkeys, my only saving grace is that i'm pretty sure - Vegemite will survive the trip in to the stratosphere.

or they could at least make it into pill form

Julia said...

This stuff is better than any advertising campaign.

All I want right now is vegemite toast.